Keep Your Home COOL with SERVPRO®
If you are using air conditioning in your house it is important to keep your doors closed!
- To ensure you don't pay to cool the neighborhood, take the time to inspect your doors. Check the foam or rubber around the sides and frame. You should be able to tell if the weather stripping is preventing drafts.
Like a door a drafty window can cause unnecessary heat to enter your home. Let's fix that to make sure your AC is not working harder than it has to!
- Begin inside by cleaning your window track and seal. It will not only make your window appear nicer, but also allow the window to seal properly. On the outside of the window you can add a latex caulk to help ensure the seal.
Using curtains is another great way to keep that extra heat out!
- You can use curtains that limit the heat coming into the room. Sunscreens are another good option, they are made to fit each window. They protect the interior of the home from the sun's rays and boost your air conditioners efficiency.
These are often forgotten about, but it is so important to keep your vents nice and clean.
- To clean your vents wipe the vent down with a damp cloth. If it has attracted dust soak the item in a bucket of water and dish soap. Do not forget to dry before reinstalling! It is suggested to switch out air filters every 30-60 days, you can track this by writing it on the filter.
To make sure that your air conditioner is operating properly, we recommend semi annular maintenance.
- The ultimate goal is to keep your A/C running smoothly. We recommend cleaning any debris from your exterior unit, and cleaning any window units before reinstall.
Running a fan is a hassle-free way to circulate the air in a room. As the seasons change, switch the direction that your ceiling fan operates. Changing the setting of the rotation can stir a cool breeze throughout the room.
In home improvements it's usually easiest if you start at the top and work your way down!
- If you add attic insulation this will help stabilize the temperature of your home and takes a load off the air conditioner. You can also set up a fan in your attic to help circulate the air. Venting out this air offers a level of cooling to the home because it is circulating the air at the heigh of where the heat rises. SERVPRO® would be happy to help!
There are many ways to help your home stay cool this summer. Reach out to us at SERVPRO® of Boone and Clinton Counties, 765-659-9600.